Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Someone is missing

Last week I made fun of Jed for being 30, while I am still basking in the glory of my twenties.
After this morning, I am no longer basking. I aged 10 years and am now 39.
Jayda is completely to blame, and I plan on holding her accountable for the rest of her life. Little punk nearly sent me into a panic attack and caused me to go into "crazy mother mode."

I was getting ready and could hear Paisley babbling in her crib, so I went into her room to say good morning. Jed beat me to it, so I peaked in Jayda's room to wake her up. "Jayda, wake up." (crickets chirping)
No answer.
So I go in her room and pull her covers back.

No Jayda. I look up on the top bunk. No Jayda.
I go out to the living room and kitchen and holler her name. No answer.
I go into my room, look in my bed, look under the bed. Starting to freak out a little.
"Jed, where's Jayda?"
Jed: I don't know?
Me: horrible thoughts start entering my mind. I run outside, no sign of her. (yes I realize that sounds silly NOW)
Her boots are still there, her coat is still there.
I go in her room again, frantically yelling her name.
I go into my room, frantically yelling her name.

I think I ran through the entire house about 7 times, re-checking every room.

"Jed....she's not in here. Where is SHE?"

NOTHING

Jed comes in our room. "JAYDA???"

Apparently her father's voice is more threatening and she emerges from my closet.

The look on our faces must have scared her and she knew she had scared us.
"What the hell are you doing?" {Sorry for the language}
Jayda: I was hiding
Me: You scared us half to death.
Jayda: Why?
Me: I thought someone stole you
Jayda: Why would someone steal me?
Me: Good question?????

Ugh. That is not how I liked to begin my day. She must have snuck into my room when I was saying hello to Paisley. She's normally not that sneaky and normally way to crabby to be playing games at 7am. And she usually giggles when she's hiding, long before anyone even knows she's hiding.

Maybe I shouldn't watch so many Elizabeth Smart biographies. I usually do not freak out like that, but I was genuinely FREAKED out. I kept thinking, "OK she's got to be somewhere in here." If I pull these covers back one more time, I just know she'll be there. But she wasn't. She wasn't anywhere. And even though the voices in your head are saying, "this isn't happening," your heart is beating out of your chest and you don't know how else to react. EEK.

I thought for sure Jed was going to give me grief, but even he must have been a little shaken up. He didn't say a word. The look on my face when I said SCREAMED "SHE'S NOT IN THERE," was a look he probably hasn't ever seen before!

Now I have to figure out to explain to her how scared she made us and how horrible things can happen to anyone, without scaring her to death. Ugh, parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment