Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sweet summertime

A few weekends ago as we were en-route to the lake on a perfect summer day, I had one of those moments you just want to remember forever. Oprah would call it an "ah-ha moment." It wasn't anything spectacular, or even noticeable for some people. It just captured exactly what summer is, and a precious snap shot of childhood.

For some reason all the girls piled in my Tahoe to ride out to the lake from Lemmon. Reanna, Sophie, Gracie, Jayda, Paisley and I. Car full of GIRLS! Me, being a Lady Antebellum fanatic, I always have their CD in my CD changer so I turned them on and turned to  "American Honey".

Then from the backseats, the sweetest harmony began filling the car. I cranked the volume as we belted out,

"There's a wild, wild whisper


Blowin' in the wind

Callin' out my name like a long lost friend

Oh I miss those days as the years go by

Oh nothing's sweeter than summertime

And American honey"

It was that small, simple moment as we went over the tickly hill, that I wanted to save forever. Stick it in my back pocket and pull it out at anytime. The sun shining on our faces, the laughter, the song, the freedom, the innocence of those girls in that moment. Perfect

 I hope they will always treasure the time they have spent at the lake with their cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and whomever else stopped by. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment