Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bobcats and Skid steers

Jayda likes to fully understand something before moving on to a new subject. While I admire her persistence and yearning for knowledge, at some point it can get a bit frustrating. For instance, Jed borrowed a skid steer a few weeks ago from a friend. Jed got the skid steer stuck in the creek. Someone told Jayda that her dad was stuck in the creek in the bobcat. I'm not picky, I use the term bobcat and skid steer interchangeably. I mean...come on. They are basically the same thing, just a different brand.

Back to the story. So Jayda only hears "bobcat" and thinks of the animal.

 A not so friendly animal.

That her dad is stuck in a creek with? What?

Ever tried to explain how some words mean more than one thing? Me neither.

So I tell her that a bobcat is a little tractor and an animal. Which actually does sound even more confusing when you say it aloud.

Ok, so lets try skid steer. "Daddy is stuck in the creek in a skid steer."

Nope that's not working either. 

Finally she got to see the actual bobcat, skid steer, whatever you wanna call it.

"Well that's just a little tractor Momma," she tells me, "Not an animal tractor or a steer."

Ok, sorry I brought it up.

A few weeks later we were driving to Rapid, she screams from the backseat, "there's an excuh-bater!"

Why, yes Jayda, that is an excavator.  I let it go at that, even though it was a trencher. Our heavy machinery discussions never go very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment