We live on Thunder Butte Creek. But for obvious reasons, I'm renaming it "Shit Creek." Simply because saying, "We're up Shit Creek," tends to be the phrase we hear this time of year. EVERY YEAR.
Late last night the creek came up and was flowing over the bridge. Jed's heifers are calving, and one was having trouble. About 4am he loaded her up and told me he was taking her to the vet in Lemmon. About 10 minutes later I heard his pickup coming back in the yard. I figured his pickup was acting up again, but twas not the case. He came inside and told me the water was flowing over the bridge and he didn't want to risk it with the pickup and horse trailer. Water can be so deceiving and it's impossible to tell if the road is washed away, or somewhere under the water.
Thankfully he was able to pull the calf eventually and it lived. Lucked out there. Then our phone rang from 5am until 7am. Don't these people ever sleep?
Well, I sure didn't. Even though it was looking like I wasn't going to work, it's hard to sleep with that much chaos.
Leave it to Rusty, to go down and drive across the bridge. Then come back and get his tractor and unplug some of the ice jams to get water flowing under the bridge again. I was then able to go to work. Unsure if we'll be able to get home. We packed our bags just in case.
I had to giggle at Jayda this morning when I told her to go get dressed because we were going to leave. She asked how, and I told her that Rusty cleared the ice jams out. Her reply, "WOW, I didn't know he could do that with two fingers."
Poor Rusty. He'll never live that down.
No comments:
Post a Comment