Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We rush and rush until life's no fun

After a fun filled, action packed whirlwind of a weekend, I've decided I need to slow down. I can't continue to try to see everyone possible, run every errand, and pick up every thing on my list in two days. I'm killing myself, stressing myself out and ruining any quality time I have with my family. I came home Sunday and felt like I'd been run over, completely exhausted, although most of that was from carrying Paisley through the mall and parking lot. Girl has got to start walking or go on a diet..that goes for both of us! I had what Oprah would call an "ah ha" moment while I was standing in the middle of the mall, screaming at Jayda to "come on," while she was begging me to let her see the Easter Bunny. Here I was, telling my innocent 4 year old that she couldn't go sit on the Easter Bunny's lap, because we had someone to meet for lunch. When I drug her out of the mall, and got her into the car, I turned around to see her defeated expression on her face, and had a minature break down. It was minature, because I only had 3 minutes to feel bad about it, before we arrived to our lunch date. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly wanted to see the people we met for lunch and love them dearly, I just need to face the realization that I can't do it all. I often pride myself on my ability to take on more than I should and handle it with grace, but when I looked at Jayda's sad, uncharacteristic expression, I realized this is not a picture of grace. This has to change.

So from now on, when I get to go home for a visit, there will be people I don't get to see, and things I don't get to do, and that will be ok. I will not rush through the weekend and wish I had taken the time to slow things down. I will let my children sit on the Easter Bunny's lap, or play in the McDonald's play land and I will capture the joy on their faces when they do so, either by camera or by memory and store it in my pocket forever.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this! I had this moment this week too! I wonder how many times I cause (and dont even notice) that look on their precious faces...thats the part that breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I typed a post "I'm in a hurry to get things done" this week but never finished it! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Codi. good to hear it happens to the best of us! too funny about our matching song titles! Are we on the same page or what?!

    ReplyDelete