Wednesday, December 30, 2009

walk the walk

Today I passed by a cowboy while walking outside on my lunch break, and he is the inspiration for this posting!

I could see him coming from about 20 feet or so, dressed in his entire cowboy getup. I'll explain in detail so you get the whole picture. He had on the traditional wrangler jeans with knee high cowboy boots, pant legs tucked in for the dramatic appeal. His scotch cap was black and he wore it with pride, as he also did with his carmel brown pendleton vest. It wasn't just the clothes he wore, but also the swagger he displayed as he walked towards me in my fancy shoes that made neat clicking sounds as I walked. I doubt he would have said a word as he passed by, but I said Hello, just to be friendly and also to lower his confidence, by showing my own. I had to giggle as I turned around and watched him walk, so full of himself and so fitting that he would be climbing into a huge pickup truck. He completely embodied the cowboy walk, talk, attitude and he was proud of it. Incase you're wondering, I'm not talking about Jed, although the resemblance was quite scary.

I giggled not because of him or anything he did, rather because of the way we accept our cowboys in this country and their ablility to rationalize their wardrobe choices as purely work related and practical. I giggle because it's funny how a woman would buy a fancy outfit and shoes, but feels absolutely no need to rationalize her clothing choice, by explaining how the v-neck makes her neck look longer or the fitted seams make her look slimmer, or the straight leg makes her legs appear longer. We just buy it, wear it and know we look good! Men on the other hand have to explain their purchases. They need knee high leather boots to protect their legs when riding or walking in tall grass, the need the scotch cap to protect their ears from the cold. They need muck boots for when it's wet and cold, but not too cold, when it's too cold then they need pack boots because they have a riding heel, but are extremely warm as well. Then in the summer they need a more breathable sole on their boot so their feet don't get too warm, but not too breathable or its too light weight and won't last. That's just their boots! LONG LIVE COWBOYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment