Sorry for any confusion between Head Start and Pre-school, since they are actually BOTH pre-schools. For our own sanity we have to call them different names so we can distinguish where were are going on which day and what time one gets out. Oh poo what am I apologizing for? It's how we deal. Get used to it!
Busy busy busy...is the life of Jayda and I. Mondays and Thursdays she goes to Head Start (which she also went to last year). It's a free program and we semi-love it. We don't full-blown love it because there's a lot of paper work (it's a government funded program) and sometimes it's a bit annoying how many hoops you have to jump to stay on top of every thing. She goes from 8am until 12:30 pm and they serve lunch. Got that? There will be a quiz at the end.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays she goes to a Church run Pre school. It is not government run, and we have to pay for it. (but so worth it). We completely love it here! The teacher is great, the learning material is great. The activities they do are great. Jayda can't wait to go each day. It's also only open to 4 and 5 year olds. These kids are eager to learn and know how this whole school business is supposed to run. The Head Start program is open to 3 year olds up to 5. Needless to say, it's a bit chaotic and exhausting at times. This one starts at 8am and gets out at 11:30, no lunch.
My new purpose in life is to keep track of what day it is, and which school she is at and what time I have to transport her from school to day care. I dread the day I forget, or get the two mixed up. Thus the reason for cell phone reminders. What handy little devices they are!
She is enjoying being a "big kid" at head start and helping the newbies get familiar with how things work. Her teachers commented on how well she is writing her name this year compared to last year. We've really been working on that the past month, and I wish I would have helped her with letters all summer. She found a pre-K book we bought for her a few years ago actually and has been obsessed with doing activities in it every night. She loves rhyming and matching lately. She dreads counting, but has improved after a couple weeks of drilling it in her head. I can tell a major difference in her willingness to learn this year compared to last year. She is eager and interested, versus last year when it almost felt too forced. I think their little minds have to be given the time to develop and be allowed to become curious on their own. I was worried going 4 days a week might be too much, but she's doing better than expected. On her day off (Friday if you lost track) she is bummed she has to go to day care, all day. Although today was "Jayda" day at day care. Each Friday she draws a name out of a hat and it is that kids "day." They get to pick what they eat for lunch, what snack they have and what games they play. Ahhh to be 4 again. I want a "Tally" day!!! FUN
No comments:
Post a Comment