Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Taking on all the issues

Thought I better update you on Jayda's math progress since my last post on her struggles. She's been bringing home worksheets and we've been trying to do her flashcards more often. She tells me that she's been passing levels each day in their math exercise they do, so I'm very relieved and excited for her. Not that she has mastered math, but she is showing improvement and I think it lit a fire under her that she needed to work harder at it. Now if we could just get her to want to read at home more often. Baby steps.

Some of her math homework she has brought home has not been very good and her teacher has asked her to make corrections. It appears she isn't taking her time to really think about the problems. She hasn't figured out when it is appropriate to be speedy on her answers (timed practices) and when she can take her time and make sure she is answering correctly. All I know is, her and I do not work very well together! It's best if I let her dad help her with her math homework I guess. She absolutely will not listen to me, even when I try my hardest to not get frustrated with her. She picks a fight immediately. Ugh. Over. It. #anditsjustbeginning.

Paisley is really improving on writing her name and she really absorbs everything her teacher is teaching. Right now they are learning about the human body and Paisley is pretty amazed by it all. She's the youngest in her class, so I feel like I compare her to her classmates more than I did with Jayda. I just want to make sure she's ready and not being pushed too soon. She's only 4 and already tired of being the smallest, the shortest, the youngest, and so on. I keep telling her, someday you'll be happy to be the skinniest! Obviously she doesn't get that....yet.

Speaking of skinny, I've noticed Jayda has become very self conscience lately. She's constantly pulling at her shirt around her tummy or looking down to see if her tummy is hidden. Makes me sad to see her worrying about that already, but I have no idea how to make her worry less. I've told Jed that he needs to stop poking jokes at her or playfully making fun of her. Sometimes he will scold her for what she's eating or not eating and she's starting to take it very personally and seriously. I feel like we have all been eating better this year and she is at least attempting to eat more veggies. We don't buy fruit snacks anymore (hello cavities) and always have apples and oranges on hand. Hopefully progress is being made. Having girls is so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Parenting is hard work. Hang in there your doing a great job! It's a balancing act. We all hope we aren't messing our kids up & that we are making the right choices. Just love on them as much as you can!! The Trace Adkins song "Your gonna miss this" sums it up real good! I have really struggled this year with my baby going off to Kindergarten all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you are coming from, we have certainly had our share of issues at school with Will, but your are doing a great job with those girls!. You don't give yourself enough credit! Tiff is right, we all hope we aren't messing up our kids! It's obviously a hard and thankless job but it's totally worth it. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete