Monday, April 2, 2012

three ring circus

Yesterday we had a bit of wreck. It involved a horse, a girl, and a momma.

We've been letting the girls ride horse, just about every evening lately with this nice weather. Yesterday, Jed was tired of saddling three horses, so he just saddled his and Jayda's so they could gather the heifers for the night. Paisley was inside helping me get super ready.

After they were done, Jayda yelled at us and asked if Paisley wanted to ride her horse (Zeek). So I took her out, put her on Zeek and Jayda got on Jed's horse (Get'er Done). I led Jayda around and Jed led Paisley around for a while, then we walked up to the pickup and stopped. Jed had left the door open so he shut it and with that Get'er Done spooked, pulled back hard on the reins and started spinning in a circle. Jayda was screaming and hanging on for her life. As was I...trying not to lose the reins and trying to get her to stop. Jed was holding the reins to Paisley's horse so he was basically helpless, and of course it all was happening so fast, everyone was just re-acting in the situation. Somewhere in the process I turned my ankle, so now I'm about to cry, trying to keep up with the horse and somehow get Jayda OFF! Just then, she flew off the other side and landed on her hip. The horse stopped we re-grouped. Jayda's on the ground bawling, I'm on the ground, wanting to bawl. Jed's standing there looking at us ....like what the heck just happened and Paisley is sitting on Zeek, oblivious to the entire circus.

Obviously we were all a little shaken up...except Paisley who's first comment was, "what happened?"
The girls and I went inside and checked our wounds. Jayda will end up with a nice scrape/bruise on her hip and forearm and I ended up with an ankle about 4 times it's normal size. I went to the clinic today and thankfully it is NOT fractured, just very badly sprained. In all my basketball and softball days, I've never rolled an ankle this bad. It took about 3 ibuprofen and 4 beers to fall asleep last night. Jayda is still pretty sore and going to milk this as long as she possibly can! She did say that she'd ride Zeek again, just as soon as she healed up, but she certainly wasn't going to get on Dad's horse/s EVER again!

We survived...another life lesson.

normal ankle
sprained ankle


                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment